One of my graduate courses required a group project as part of a block about the Learning Design Studio. Our project developed a Google Site for our work. This is a copy of my contributions to the group effort, reformatted for this website. The project starts here.
Before doing the actual design work, we did research of past innovations to avoid reinventing the wheel and making common mistakes. To do this, we looked at case studies and theoretical frameworks. From those, we derived design patterns and principles.
Case studies and theoretical framework
We reviewed academic literature to find case studies of techno-pedagogical innovations that provide guidance for our own project’s challenge. For each, we used the S.T.A.R.R. outline (Situation, Task, Actions, Results, Reflections) to share:
- Points in the narrative that were relevant to our project
- Successful design elements they found, and how we can use them in our project
- Barriers to success that they experienced, and how we can avoid similar issues in our project
Design patterns and principles
From the above case studies, we noticed the Learners First pattern.